Sunday, September 2, 2012

Nothing like a Daddy's LOVE

      Last night Hope couldn't sleep so we let her make a bed on the couch outside of our room. At 1 in the morning I woke up because I heard her crying. Before I could even get up David ran over to her, wrapped his arms around her and was talking to her in his comforting sweet way. To my children there is nothing in this world like their father, his love, his voice, his affection and his approval. He provides all they need, they feel safe in his presence and love to bring him delight. As David rocked Hope back to sleep last night I couldn't help but be grateful that my husband is painting such a beautiful picture for them of what their heavenly Father's love is like.
       Sometimes I forget just how much He loves me and how that sweet Fatherly love applies to my everyday life. He loves me, protects me, provides for me, my sin hurts Him, my obedience brings Him joy and His desire is that my life will be full of goodness and love with Him forever.
       I used to work in a nursing home in the alzheimer and dementia ward. I got very close to some of the residents and learned so many valuable lessons from them. One of my favorite ladies was a spicy little being. She was about 5 feet tall, had wild curly white hair and a high pitched voice that could be heard from the end of the hall. She had these golden rimmed glasses that she pushed up the bridge of her nose after ever third shuffle and her outfits were always mismatched and very colorful. Many of the nurses didn't like her very much, she demanded your attention in screeching tones and expected unlimited amounts of your time. She was very very messy. She had hoarded so many books and papers that maneuvering around her little apartment was difficult. Despite all of that I fell in love with her sweet wrinkly little face.
      Right off the bat I found out that we had something in common. She was also a believer...and had grown up in a Mennonite home...I was her instant new best friend. I remember clearly putting her to bed for the first time. I got her in her jammies, cleaned her dentures, put her glasses on her little side table and pulled the blankets up over her. As soon as her head hit the pillow she started screaming out in the shrillest voice i had ever heard Psalm 23

"The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

     Tears were streaming down her cheeks. It was one of the most beautiful and precious things that the Lord has ever given me the privilege to see. She quickly transitioned into a Hymn..."His eye is on the sparrow and He watches over me..." From that point on we sang that hymn every night that I worked. And every single night with out exception she asked me if I knew Jesus... Whenever we talked about the Lord or sang hymns together her entire countenance softened. She may have been wild and feisty in her old age, but what an amazing testimony she left. She was fiercely dedicated to her Heavenly Father and talked to Him all the time, in her distress, her anger, her bursts of joy...she knew what His love was and she basked in her role as His child. It was so beautiful and unforgettable.
        As I read back over that so familiar Psalm I was reminded and blessed at what a perfect and powerful Father we have. He takes care of us, provides all we need. Leads us to restful places, He restores our souls, He guides us towards righteousness. Even when we are in our darkest places we have no need to fear anything because He is with us! He disciplines and protects us, He comforts us. He shows us love and honor in the presence of those who despise us, He anoints us, fills our cups to overflowing....He desires for goodness, love and His presence to be with us forever!!!! Can we just take a moment and bask in the fact that we are Children of the Almighty God!!!! Just like my sweet little old lady turned her face up to her Father and allowed Him to be all she ever needed, allowed his light to shine on her face, in her heart and in her life...Let's look up too and be changed....
        Once I realize the safety, security, provision, protection, love, comfort and life that my Heavenly Father gives me I can freely love Him, serve Him, obey Him, courageously raise my children in this world to do the same. I can be a brave, joyful, trusting child no matter what my Father asks me to do.
      I don't know what season you are in. You may be in the best season of your life, if so make your daddy proud share your joy, blessings, light and love with everyone around you! Enjoy the season and soak up the grace. If this is a dry season and you feel like you are in the desert in every way, open up God's Word, study it, meditate on it and let His springs of living water and the truth of His Word restore your soul!!! If you are in the middle of a horrible storm and the wind and waves are beating unmercifully at your fragile heart, run into His arms, take refuge in Him! God your Father will take care of you, comfort you, He has even this in the palm of His hand. Just as David scoops my babies up in His arms and they can rest regardless of whats happening around them, let your Heavenly Father be the same to you... Find your strength and courage in Him and face life knowing that God is with you in the battle. If you have turned away and gone astray....it's never too late, He is waiting for you with open arms...come home, repent, obey and know a deep and true endless love and forgiveness that you'll never forget. Wherever you are. He is there.

2 comments:

  1. I am speechless. This is so well written and so true of God's love for us. He has brought me through so many storms, pulled me out of life's fires and molded me into the woman I am today. I love you, my friend, and I love the way you can see passed so much and focus on the best in people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Rachel, I am so blessed to call you my daughter! It is exciting for me to watch you grow into an amazing woman of God. I love you dearly, and love to see how your express your love and your relationship with our Heavenly Father. May you continue to grow and mature, may your light shine so that others can see, hear and learn of the love of the Father. I love you!

    ReplyDelete