Thursday, February 7, 2013

Meus Pais

   Today I just want to take a moment to honor meus pais!


Dearest Dad and Mom,

     I don't even know where to begin. I have so much love and gratitude in my heart for the two of you! I guess the best place to start is the beginning.... I am so thankful that God placed me in a home with two loving parents who desired to love and serve the Lord with their lives. Both of you come from such rich heritages yourselves, and that in itself set the bar high for me in a way. I have always had a lot to live up to. Not because you placed a burden or expectation on me of following your footsteps into ministry, but because with my whole heart I desired to be like you, and both sets of amazing Grandparents- Completely surrendered to whatever the Lord has called me to, wherever or whatever that may be. One of the most precious gifts you have ever given me is the opportunity to see you ready and available to be wherever the Lord led you. It took us all over the place as a family and I love that you listened to the Lord's voice and obeyed Him, even though it cost you greatly. Neither of you ever focused on the cost, but on the joys of the ministry and the adventures we were able to experience together as a family. Not very many people would leave their families, leave their securities and comforts to do some of the things you have done. That in itself has made my heart so proud and has struck me with an even greater admiration of you now that I have a family of my own.
   
    Over the last 31 years I have had the opportunity to see the Lord use you both in amazing ways. You have both used your gifts and abilities all over the map to bring God glory, to bring light to those in the darkness and to disciple the people the Lord has brought to your ministries. You have both changed so many peoples lives because of your faithfulness, perseverance and persistence in doing what the Lord has called you to. I have been able to watch you and experience what it is like to be apart of thriving ministries as well as ones that need encouragement, hard work and much perseverance. The most amazing thing to me is that you have never shied away from either. You bring all your great ideas, dreams and energy to whatever the Lord brings you. It's truly inspirational.  When things are hard, you never back away or quit, you persevere. You always, continually bring your best. That is such a noble and beautiful offering.

     The two seasons of your lives that have undoubtedly left the most significant and unforgettable mark on me are by far the most difficult ones you have walked through. You may not been aware of this, but as you walked through the fiery trials of life, there were many people watching you, I was one of them. As you fought for Sarah's life and then sat by her side as she stepped into heaven, I was not just living through it with you, but watching you every step of the way for guidance in how to respond, react and live amid a flood of emotions and fear. You showed me what unwavering courage looks like, how to unconditionally love, how to survive tragedy while being in the spotlight of full time ministry. AND most of all you taught me how to cling to the Rock, how to truly trust God when life is not fair and when nothing makes sense. That is parenting at it's finest.  Then years later, as missionaries you were held at gunpoint while men stole all your belongings, right down to your groceries, threatened your lives, beat you and duck taped you....you shared the good news of Jesus with them. That still brings tears to my eyes even now. Your lights shined so brightly that day. SO brightly. Those men saw Jesus that day in your bravery, love, grace and the forgiveness you extended. Your willingness to die for the sake of Christ and your love in the face of evil - that is when the world saw what you are truly made of. Your faith in God far exceeds any fear, any threat - even death. You are leaving an amazing legacy. When people, including myself, see that kind of faith it inspires us to stand up to - to make a difference, to make our lives count and to have a greater purpose.


         Growing up in your home was a grand adventure. I look back on all those years so thankful for every road trip, every move, each camping trip, hike, game night, movie night, missions trip and every touristy location you dragged my tired teenage want to sleep in butt to on the weekends. Thank you for giving me such a spectacular existence and for training me up to love and obey God. It has not departed from me, it is alive and flowing from my life into the little lives that have now been entrusted to me. And it is my greatest prayer that how I live my life would inspire my children to walk, serve and honor the Lord with their little beings... just like your lives continue to inspire me.

   

 With much admiration, love and affection,
        Your favorite child ;),
         Rachel Anne


Isaiah 43:1-3a
"But now, this is what the Lord says—


    he who created you, Jacob,

    he who formed you, Israel:
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior"







 

No comments:

Post a Comment