Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Making Time for what Counts

   Jeremiah 29:13
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

   Last night I was laying in bed thinking about what my sweet Grandpa Nightingale used to tell my father growing up. My father has reminded me of this wisdom over the years as well, and it has stuck with me in a beautiful way. It goes a little something like this.... When your day is full to the brim, start it in the Word and spend some time with God first. Then everything else will fall into place.

    This has been one of those things I am continually reminding myself, almost on a daily basis. It is easy for me to bump my quiet time with the Lord when I have so many other things pressing in and four little people  in constant need of one thing or another. But when I do make the time, I never regret it. There is no better way to start the day. I find that when I spend time with Him it helps me to prioritize my day.  He always has and always will enable me to accomplish what He desires for me to do each day.

      The tricky part is being able to discern what His will is for me each day. Often my priorities and agenda are not in the same order as what He has for me that day. Most days cleaning my house and trying to stay on top of it, is often my number one priority. What I have been realizing as I ask God to arrange my day is that God has no problem with a clean house, but my husband, my children and the people that the Lord brings into my life that day are far more important than the state of my house. So if you come over and my house is messy....it's not because I don't care, it's because I have prioritized you. ;)

       My sweet Pastor's wife, Denise Nelson has taught me something very valuable along the same lines.... to be more flexible. To start the day by saying "What do you have for me today Lord?" and being willing to forgo my own plans and priorities for the people that He brings to me that day. I have found that when I live my life pressing into Him and where He leads me, He accomplishes very sweet things in my life and in the lives of those that cross my path. I also have peace about the things I never got around to. They weren't on His list for my day. I have realized that the things that are important to me, like a clean house, still get done, just in a different order...the right order. In His time and His way.

     I love the way Sarah Young writes in Jesus Calling,  "Because I am omnipotent, I am able to bend time and events in your favor. You will find that you can accomplish more in less time, after you have given yourself to me in rich communion." I loved the reminder that God is sovereign over all, time, events... everything. It would be in my best interest to align myself with what He desires for my day.

    Don't let life and circumstance lead you or toss you about. Let the Lord lead and guide you through your day! Be purposeful and intentional about your day and the time the Lord has gifted you!

   *If you don't know where to start read a Proverb a day, through the Psalms or a Gospel. Ask a friend to do the same and you can talk about it, encourage each other and hold each other accountable. After I read it helps me to write out a verse, some thoughts and prayer requests. That really helps me to focus on what I am doing so that my time with the Lord is purposeful and I am not distracted by all that is surrounding me. I have a prayer journal too that I use often to help me communicate my thoughts and feelings to the Lord. I leave that time so refreshed, strengthened and blessed. There is truly no better investment.

     Colossians 2:6-7 "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."

   Psalm 119:10 "I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands."

 Proverbs 8:17 "I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me."

  

     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment