Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My name is Rachel, I am a fox hoarder


    Song of Songs 2:15
    Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom. 


    Over the last few weeks I have been thinking about all the little foxes in my life. The sly little things that I allow to creep into my life and steal my joy. If I let them, they can also crowd out the peace in my heart. These little foxes can be day changers for me, depending on whether I catch them and put them where they belong or whether I spend time mulling over how I could or should be offended, hurt, resentful..... they are sly little things!

     These little foxes are not my kids...Well, at least not most days! When I took the time to evaluate my attitudes, my reactions and responses....more often then not, it's the small little things that I let get away from me that cause the most damage. These little foxes appear in a thousand different ways in my life. It could be something that my husband said, or just even the way he said it. It could be an expectation that I had of how I wanted the morning to go and my morning unfolding differently then I had hoped. It could be something that makes me late, or chores not getting done, little arguments, fits, or bad attitudes from the kids... All these little things can ruin the atmosphere in my home and my heart if I don't take my thoughts captive!
 2 Corinthians 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

     The bitterness, resentment, misinterpretations, misconceptions and misunderstandings that can grow out of all these little foxes can truly ruin lives, marriages, families and friendships if left running wild and unchecked. Our emotions are not always an accurate gage of reality. We may feel a certain way about something that was said or done, and we may be completely justified in feeling that way. However, we are still held responsible for where we let our heart, attitude and mind go with it. We have to catch those sly little foxes and make them obedient to Christ before they ruin the great work that the Lord can accomplish in us and through us! 

      I actually wrote this yesterday, but have had a hard time pressing the send button! A little too convicting for this stuffer, who tends to suppress her feelings about the little foxes all day long. In doing that, I allow my attitudes and feelings to grow teeth and take bites out of my joy, my peace, contentment, and sometimes others too. If left running through my mind, I allow them to consume my thoughts until they have festered and grown into hideous beasts that explode on my husband or kids.... I am probably alone in that, but it is truly a daily battle for me to keep His perspective, to keep my attitude in check and to choose joy when things are not going my way. It's so sad how often I let the little things, that could be easily resolved with a little communication or humble pie, keep me from being a vessel used by God to extend grace, exude joy and embrace others with unconditional love. That's who I want to be, that is who I strive to be! Want to go fox hunting with me?

      May the Lord God Almighty give us the wisdom and insight to know a fox when we see it. May you and I mindfully catch those little foxes all day, not even giving them an opportunity to sneak their way into our lives. As a result may the Lord grow in our lives and homes enabling us to bloom beautifully as we forgive hurts and offenses, extend grace, exude joy and share the miraculous love of Jesus through our daily living.



1 Peter 1:3-11
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment