Saturday, October 6, 2012

growing up NIGHTINGALE

   



 Today I spent some time to reflect upon how fortunate I am to have come from my very wonderful Nightingale  family. I spent my growing up years moving around from place to place. My parents were missionaries and we never settled anywhere long! I found most of the moves quite adventurous and absolutely loved living in so many different places, seeing so many different things and meeting amazing and wonderful people everywhere we went. I learned very quickly that home isn't necessarily place, but wherever I was with my family. It brought us all so close, because no matter where we went we had each other.


    I have three brothers and slowly but surely each of us is moving out of the home and away from the nest. It is sad that we are all so far away from each other now, but the bond that we all share go beyond the distance and the time that has come between us. We all express our love in different ways, and are learning how best to show it to each other now as we are growing up and there is so much space that separates us.

   As I look back at the years, the trials we all faced together - the loss of my sister, the moves across the world and adjustments that come with that, the transitions that come with leaving the home, moving away and growing up. Those things have all tested the bonds that had grown over the years.

    Even though we have had many ups and downs together, the ups have left imprints on my heart and life that I will never forget. They have shaped who I am as a daughter, sister, wife and mother. All the beautiful moments and memories we share will bind us together for a life time.




   
    My dad has been a rock for our family. Keeping us all together and grounded everywhere we have been. The older i get the stronger our bond becomes. I see so much strength and pure good in him. He desires to show all his kids love in the best way that he can and has made efforts to spend time with each of us during different seasons of our lives that were especially meaningful to us. I am so proud of him and all that he has accomplished already in his life time. I love seeing him with my kids now. He makes newspaper hats and they all climb on our couch and pretend to be in a boat fishing in the sea. He gathers them all around on the island and makes his famous crepe recipe letting each one have a turn stirring. It is beautiful. Dad is now Pastoring a church in Pincher Creek Alberta and I am so glad to have him back on this continent! Fact.




    My mom has strength like no other woman I know. No one but super woman herself can move a large family from country to country countless times. She was always completely devoted to nurturing us and caring for us in every single way possible. I give her credit for any good qualities I have in mothering my own children. I learned everything I know about loving my kids from her. She gives and gives and gives endlessly and her tender love, listening ear, and understanding has shaped much of who I am today. She is so thoughtful about each of us, showers us with gifts whenever she can that bless us and suit our lives and personalities. She especially loves to spoil her grand babies with home baked goodness of every kind, ear piercing dates and crafting projects that they each enjoy.


    Tim is all grown up now. We used to fight non stop...I am not sure if it was because I used to put red peppers in his food, in his mouth, pretty much anywhere I could to torture him...or because I used to pour water on him at night when he was sleeping and tell mom he wet the bed....but something changed when we moved to Portugal for us. I found less enjoyment in taunting and teasing him and his company much more enjoyable. I got very protective of him and quite fond of the little guy. We would go for walks and spent much more quality time together there. I will treasure those times forever. Now he is happily married to my sweet and wonderful sister-in-law Noelle and I am so proud of who he is and what he does. All his hard work has paid off! He has a delightful and amazing wife, a bomb  job that he loves, almost finished with his masters and a fantastic sister. say wha?! But my favorite thing about him is that he makes every effort to be in my life, to know whats going on with my family and he prays for me. It's priceless. I couldn't ask for anything more. I am so grateful for the friendship we have forged over
the years. It means the world to me.


     Joshy is now at CBC. He and I just talked today and we both agreed that he absolutely rocks at being eccentric. This is truth. I think he is going to be the free spirit of the bunch! ;) I used to tuck him in every single night when we lived in Yarrow. I sang "I cast all my cares upon you" every single night as I pulled the covers up over him and turned out the light. I love that I have that memory. It has been fun seeing him grow up. He cares deeply for people. I love that about him. I think he may still need a reminder every now and again to cast his cares upon the Lord, but only because he loves and cares for people so much. So proud of him, and his ability to be a source of     encouragement and a listening ear for so many...including me! I won't even go there with his Micheal Jackson dance skills. He's got moves, mad skills, I tell you.





    Zech is now a big middle school man. Talented in may ways- musical, funny, professional video gamer, gardener, growing tall, giving hugs...all ways he shows great expertise. I left home the summer he has born, so the times I get to be with him are special to me! I have loved having him come stay with my family over the years and that has been fun for me and my kids too! He is a great uncle, my kids are lucky to have such a stud looking out for them and hanging out with them! I can't wait to see who he will be when he grows up, because I sure do love him now!

  So, needless to say I am blessed and thankful! Love you all so much!






Not to mention, I finally get another girl in the family! yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment